You have the right to have your say in decisions that affect you. This includes decisions made when schools are planning the support you need.

3 pupils with children's rights flags in backgroundIf you need extra support at school, you may have a learning support plan. This is a plan to help the school to organise your support and keep track of how it is helping you.


Here are 3 types of learning plans that schools use:
  1. Diagram with questions Who What Why Where When How? Personal Learning Plan: Every pupil has a Personal Learning Plan to help plan their time at school. This plan sets out what you are learning now and what you will learn next.
  2. Additional Support Plan: You may have an Additional Support Plan if you get extra support at school. It will set out targets for you to aim for each term. It may also have targets you’re aiming for over the whole school year. The plan will say what support you need to reach these targets.
  3. Coordinated Support Plan or CSP. You may have a CSP if you need extra support from people outside school as well (like a social worker, a speech and language therapist or a mental health worker). You may also have a CSP if you are care-experienced. A CSP is there to make sure all the people who support you work well together and know what’s going on. At least once a year, the school will look at your CSP with you and your parents or carers to see how well it is working. This meeting is called a CSP review.

You should be involved in planning your support at school

Young person speaking to a grown up at school

Being involved in planning your support is a good way to have your say about what’s right for you at school.

No matter how old you are, your school should ask you what might help when they are planning your learning and support. They should include info about your views in your plan. And they should involve you in deciding what goes in your plan and whether it is working for you.

 Coordinated Support Plans: Know your rights!
  1. If you are aged 12 – 15 and you don’t have a CSP,  you have the right to ask your school or local council if they think you should have one. You might want to do this if you feel you are not getting the right support. You have the right to ask for your views to be included in the plan and to receive a copy of it.
  2. If you are 12 -15 and you already have a CSP, you can ask for it to be reviewed. You might want to do this if you think your needs have changed or you aren’t getting the support that is written in the plan.
  3. If you are 12 -15 and you disagree with a decision to not open or review your CSP, or you disagree about what’s in the plan, you can make make an appeal to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal. You can find out more about sorting out disagreements with the school here. 

Your school or local council will check that it’s ok for you to use your rights and that it won’t cause you any harm. 

My Rights My Say logo

Want help to have your say in planning your learning and support?

My Rights, My Say can help you understand more about your rights and support you to use them.  Get in touch with My Rights, My Say.