If you need extra support at school, you may have a learning support plan. It’s your right to have a say in plans made about your support at school.

But what is it? And how does it help you?

The names of support plans can be different in different schools, but generally there a three types:

Personal Learning Plan:

This plan sets out what you are learning now and what you will learn next.

All pupils have a plan like this, whether they have additional support needs or not.

Individualised Education Programme (IEP):

You may have an IEP if you get extra support at school. It sets out targets for you to aim for each term. It may also have targets you’re aiming for over the whole school year.

The plan will say what support you need to reach these targets and who is there to support you.

It helps you by looking at the parts of your learning where you may need some extra support.

Coordinated Support Plan (CSP):

You may have a CSP if you need extra support from people outside school as well (like a social worker). You may also have a CSP if you are care-experienced.

A CSP is there to make sure all the people who support you work well together and know what’s going on.

You should be involved in planning your support at school.

Young person speaking to a grown up at school

No matter how old you are, or what type of support you need, your school should ask you what might help when they are planning your learning and support.

It’s your right to have a say in plans made about your support at school.

They should:

  • Include your views in your plan. 
  • Involve you in deciding what goes in your plan.
  • Discuss with you whether your plan is working for you.

My Rights My Say logo

Aged between 12-15?Want help to have your say in planning your learning and support?

My Rights, My Say can help you understand more about your rights and support you to use them.  Get in touch with My Rights, My Say.