Sometimes you might need a bit of extra support at school. The first step can be finding out what support is available to you.

How teachers work to get to you know better

Every day at school your teachers are working to get to know you better and to find out what you need to learn and get the most from school. They’ll look at what’s going well for you and the things you find difficult. This is called ‘assessment’.

Finding out if you need extra support – arranging an assessment

Sometimes you might need a special kind of assessment. This is called a ‘specific assessment’. Your teacher might do this, or they might ask someone else to do it, like:Young person speaking to a grown up at school

  1. an educational psychologist who can decide what you need to help you learn;
  2. a mental health worker who supports you if you feel down or worried;
  3. a health worker or therapist who helps if you are unwell or have a disability;
  4. a social worker who helps with difficulties at home.

To do the assessment, they may ask you questions, speak to your parents or carers, or look at your school work to find out how you are getting on. There’s no need to worry, the assessment will help things work out better for you, and they will do it so that nobody else knows what’s happening.

Your rights to ask for an assessment and extra support

If you are aged 12 – 15 and you think you need some extra support at school but no one has noticed, or you think your support isn’t right for you, you can ask your school or local council to find out what your needs are or carry out a specific assessment.

You can also ask for a specific assessment if your school or local council are putting together or reviewing a co-ordinated support plan (CSP) for you. (Find more about different learning support plans you might have here).

You also have the right to be given information about what the school or local council think your needs are.

Don’t forget that before you can use your rights, your school or local council will check that’s it’s ok for you to do so. 

Want more help to understand and use your rights?

My Rights My SayIf you want help to use your rights get in touch with  My Rights, My Say. The staff can help you to ask for an assessment or share your views during one. Find out more about the service here.