If you feel worried about making new friends at school, you’re not alone. For a lot of people, making new friends isn’t easy. It can be scary to go up to someone you don’t know. You might feel shy. You might worry that they won’t understand you or that you won’t fit in with the people they hang out with. Here are some things you might find useful…
5 tips for making friends at school
- Remember that making friends takes time.
- Try to find people who like the same things as you. It might help to join a new club at school.
- When you talk to other pupils, be interested in what they’re saying and show you’re listening.
- If someone is friendly, be nice to them too.
- At break time, try sharing a song, video or game on your phone with people in your class.
Remember, if you are finding making friends really hard, there are people who will listen and help you. Find someone you trust – it could be a teacher or a family member – and tell them how you’re feeling.