Here are 5 issues with school that young carers have told us they sometimes face:
- Getting to school on time can be hard if you’ve got to help the person you care for in the mornings.
- It can be difficult to find time to do homework.
- Your family might not have enough money for school trips, uniform, food and other expenses.
- It can be hard to get the chance to hang out with pals after school and at the weekend.
- You can feel worried and distracted in class thinking about whether the person you help care for is ok.
If you’re a young carer, you can find out about how schools can support you in our advice section ‘when home life makes school hard for me’.
Childline also have helpful info for young carers on making time for yourself, getting support and coping with the challenges of being a young carer.