If you feel you need more support at school or you don’t like the support you’re getting, talking to somebody you trust in school is a good place to start. You should be listened to and taken seriously. If this isn’t happening, you can write a letter to the council (also called your ‘local authority’).

Knowing what to put in your letter isn’t always easy, so we’ve put together this letter template you can print off and fill in.

A letter to the local authority about my support needs

You can use this letter if you want to ask the council to:

  1. Decide if you need a plan so that all of the people who support you in and out of school work well together and know what is going on.  This is called a Co-ordinated Support Plan.
  2. Help you get extra support at school.
  3. Find out how you’re doing at school and what extra support you need.  This is called asking for an assessment.