Leaving school is a big change in your life. If you’re feeling worried about your future, remember that your school should start helping you get ready to leave at least a year before you are due to go.
Here are some of the ways your school could help:
- making sure you can get advice and info about your choices for what to do next
- helping you learn to live independently
- arranging work experience, volunteering or visits to colleges for you
- helping you write your CV with info on what you are good at and what you have done. You can use this CV to apply for jobs and courses
- getting in touch with people (if you say this is ok) who could support you after you leave – like staff at a college or a social worker.
Remember that YOU know yourself best. You are making a choice for you and not for anyone else.
You may decide to do something after school but then find it doesn’t work out. Don’t worry! Lots of people end up doing something different from what they first planned.