Planning your support

Planning your support

An image looking down from above on a Minecraft character.

You should be involved in any plans made about your support.

However, if you aren’t being involved, you have options to make sure your voice is being included in discussions about your support. Find out more here.

Making a plan is an important part of making sure you get the right support. It’s a way of thinking and talking about what and how you learn. Plans are also there to help make sure your support is working and that the people who support you know how to do that in the best possible way.

These are some of the types of plans used for pupils in Scotland

Personal Learning Plan (PLP)

Personal learning plans are a way of planning what and how you learn. They also assess your progress. They set on-going goals that should both reflect your strengths but also where you need to develop your learning. Regularly checking in with these goals can help make sure you’re achieving them and whether your support is working.

Individual Education Programme (IEP)

If you need a plan with more detail, your school may create an Individualised Educational Programme (IEP) for you. These plans sometimes have different names. They may be called: an Additional Support Plan, Support and Strategies Plan or Wellbeing Assessment Plan.

An IEP (or similar) should set out all your additional support needs and the type of support you will be given.

Coordinated Support Plan (CSP)

If you need a lot of support from both your school and other people outside of school (like a social worker or a special nurse), you may be given a coordinated support plan. A CSP helps to make sure all the people supporting you work well together and that they also know what’s going on with your support. A CSP is a legal document and tends to be for pupils who need support for more than a year.

Child’s Plan

You may have a Child’s Plan if you need extra support to help with your wellbeing. This plan is for children who need support from different adults from different services, such as health and your school. It’s part of the Getting it Right for Every Child (GIRFEC) approach. Making this plan should involve you.

Healthcare plan

If you have healthcare needs you may have a healthcare plan setting out your treatment and medication. If your healthcare needs mean you find it difficult to go to school or learn, you may also need a school healthcare plan. You would make this plan with the health staff that look after you.

Watch this

What is advocacy?

If you feel like you need help to have your say in planning meetings, an advocacy worker could help you. Find out more about what this means and how it can help in the video below:

More advice