• English/
  • Chinese Simplified/
  • French/
  • Gaelic/
  • Arabic/
  • Polish/
  • Punjabi/
  • Russian/
  • Spanish/
  • Romanian/
  • Urdu/
  • Other languages...

Disagreements about your support at school

Disagreements about your support at school

An image of a young person wit ha hood up and their head in their hands. The background is a cold dark blue colour on the left and a warm orange colour on the right. Either side of the young person are speech bubble shapes made out of crumpled up paper

Do you have disagreements about your support at school?

If you do, then it’s important to know that you have options.

Step 1: Talking about your support

➜ To begin with, you could try talking to an adult at school that you trust about your worries. This could be your class, guidance or learning support teacher. However, if you feel more comfortable talking to one of your subject teachers, they should be able to help as well.

➜ If you feel like you can’t talk to anyone at school, then you can try talking to an adult you trust who doesn’t work at your school. For example, a a family member, carer or someone else. They could speak or write to your school on your behalf.

Step 2: Advocacy

➜ If you’re finding it difficult to get your point across about the support you get at school, another option is advocacy.

Advocacy Worker

What do they do?

Listen to you and help you shape and share your views. They can go with you to meetings about your support for learning and can even speak for you if you want them to.

Step 3: Dispute Resolution

➜ If talking to the school doesn’t make things better and you still disagree with the support you’re receiving, there are some more options.

➜ You, your parents / carers and the school / local council might need help to solve the problem.

➜ This is called ‘dispute resolution’. A dispute is a disagreement or argument. A resolution is a way to fix something.

Dispute Resolution

What does it mean?

There are different ways that disagreements between you or your parents/carers and a school or local authority can be resolved. All these different ways are called dispute resolutions.

There are 3 different types of dispute resolution for sorting out a disagreement with your school:

➜ Mediation

➜ Independent Adjudication

The Additional Support Needs Tribunal

Need help to sort out a disagreement with the school?

My Rights, My Say can also help you sort out a disagreement with the school. They help pupils aged between 12 and 15 to use their rights to make sure they get the support they need at school.

More advice

to top