Things that can help when changing school
Here are some things to think about to help you make sure you get the right support when moving to a different school:
- Your current school can help. If you get additional support with your learning, your current school should be able to help you and your family. They can help to plan your move and the support you will need at your new school.
- Have your say. Getting involved in planning your move to a new school can help make sure that the support in your new school is what you want and need. There are lots of different ways to do this. It should also be done in a way that works for you. A good first step is to talk to an adult you trust about what your would like your move to a new school to look like.
- It’s your call – If you say it’s ok, your old school will share information with your new school about the support you need.
- Primary to secondary – If you’re moving to Secondary school you might find that it will be a bigger and busier environment, with more staff and pupils. This change might mean that you need different support than at primary school. There may also be different support on offer at Secondary, that wasn’t available at Primary school.
- Your support should be flexible – Your new school must keep your support needs under review. This means that they should talk to you about how your support is working for you what else they can do to help. If any issues come up after you start, your school can make changes to your support.
Some things to remember…
Your current school should do all that they can to help you get the right support in place for your new school. If you feel able to, get involved as much as you can.
Another option is writing down what matters to you, and sharing this with someone at your new school.
Remember, you have a right to be involved in decisions about your support.
When you start at your new school, it’s a good idea to talk to them about what worked well and what didn’t at your old school.
Sometimes your support needs will change which means that your support will too but the important thing is that your support should work for you.